The Nervous System consists of two parts
- The Central Nervous System (CNS)
- The Peripheral Nervous System (PNS)
This is made up of all the other nerves that branch out from the CNS to the rest of the body.
While the main function of the system is to pick up and pass on messages from one part of the body to another. Also the messages consist of tiny electrical impulses are called nerve impulses.
Summary of the nerve impulse
- Sense Organ à(Sensory Nerve) à Brain
- Nerves are the cords, that link your sense organs to your brain i.e. take messages to your brain.
- Brain à (Motor Nerve) à Muscle
- Once the brain decides what to do, it sends out instructions along the motor nerves.
Nervous System Bibliography
Whitfield, P. (1995). The Human Body Explained. Quebec. Reader’s Digest.
Microsoft Encarta Enyclopedia (2002). [Computer Software] Microsoft. Nervous System