THE BATANG PINOY
The Philippine Youth Games – Batang Pinoy was created by virtue of Executive Order No, 44 declaring it as the National Sports Development Program for Children under His Excellency, former President Joseph Ejercito Estrada on December 2, 1998.
Hence, the Philippine Olympic Committee, concerned National Sports Associations and other non-government organizations are also encouraged to lend their cooperation to the program.
Furthermore, authorizing all Local Government Units (LGUs) constituting the Physical Fitness sports Development Council (PFSDC) consist of national, regional, provincial, city, municipal and barangay levels to extend full support and to actively participate in the program.
OBJECTIVES OF THE BATANG PINOY PROGRAM
- Being integral part of the national policy and program for sports development will effectively address our need for a comprehensive grassroots sports program centered on values formation inherent in the practice of sports and play.
- Inculcate in the young minds of Filipino athletes the value of patriotism, nationalism, self discipline, respect for law and order, hardwork, teamwork,camaraderie,sportsmanship and fair play, thus eliminating the child’s chances of becoming a juvenile delinquent.
- The program can also serve as recruitment baser for sports specialization including training for other high level leagues, national tournaments and international competitions.
AGE AND REPRESENTATION
▪ Batang Pinoy is an open tournament for children 15 years old and below based on the Batang Pinoy calendar year.
▪ Representation is strictly by Local Government Unit (LGU). This may be in the form of provincial, city, municipality and barangay representation. No athlete shall be accepted without accreditation of a particular LGU.
▪ Batang Pinoy is also open to all Filipino whether by birth or naturalized. Foreign-Pinoy may also join provided he/she represents a particular LGU.
▪ An athlete shall represent only one (1) LGU
▪ No tournament or participation fee shall be collected by the Host LGU and PSC.
REGIONAL QUALIFYING ROUNDS
Representation : By province, city municipality and barangay
□ Participation expenses are for the account of the participating LGUs or individual athlete (uniform, meals, travel/transportation)
□ Host LGU shall provide free billeting facilities (schools/centers) for all
the participants (athletes, coaches, trainers, delegations officials, affiliated and local technical officials)
□ Host LGU shall provide free shuttle for the participating teams upon their arrival at the port or airport terminal to billeting schools and to the playing venues.
□ Medal Count should be credited to respective LGU.
ROLE OF THE PARTICIPATING LGUs
□ To encourage their constituents to participate in the Batang Pinoy and provide funding for uniform, food and transportation, monetary incentives may be considered of their respective delegation
□ The LGUs are the accrediting body of their respective delegations participating in the Batang Pinoy
□ Responsible for the decorum and management of the entire delegation and its delegations’ adherence to technical rules and regulations
□ To register athletes, coaches and officials as part of the delegation and certify the regularity of all their submitted documents as requirements of the games.
PARTNERSHIPS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
ROLE OF THE PHILIPPINE SPORTS COMMISSION
□ To form an Executive Committee that will decide on any issue regarding the Batang Pinoy and its component activities
□ To establish a National Secretariat that shall serve as the nerve center and working arm for the smooth implementation of the program
□ To formulate the necessary policies, guidelines and regulations in consultation with other agencies involved that shall govern the relationship of parties/entities involved
□ To enter into Agreement with the POC, NSAs , DILG and DepEd and other private or government agencies as may be deemed necessary for the smooth implementation of the Batang Pinoy.
□ To impose sanction on any individual or entity whose action/decision shall prove to be inimical to the interest of the games.
ROLE OF THE PHILIPPINE OLYMPIC COMMITTEE
□ The POC as mandated by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) is the umbrella organization of all the National Sports Associations (NSAs) in the Philippines
□ To assist the PSC in coordination with concerned NSAs as far as the Technical management of the games is concerned.
□ To oversee the technical management of the Batang Pinoy
□ To serve as the advisory body to the PSC, DILG, DepEd and league of Provinces, Cities,Municipalities and Barangays
□ To assist the PSC in the planning, information dissemination, actual implementation and monitoring of related policies
ROLE OF THE NATIONAL SPORTS ASSOCIATION (NSAs)
□ The NSAs are organized as the sole governing body of their respective sports in the Philippines. They are representatives of their respective International Federations and are under the umbrella of the Philippine Olympic Committee.
□ To technically manage and operate their respective competitions including the appointment of technical officials
□ To conduct technical officials’ training and seminars
□ To ensure that the following aspects are properly executed;
- The athlete shall abide by the competition rules and regulations of the NSA
- The athlete shall carry the name and the color of the LGU he/she represents
- To recognize the general authority of the PSC
ROLE OF DILG and DepEd
□ The DepEd shall extend accommodation assistance (schools) to participants
□ The DILG shall extend assistance in mobilizing resources and information dissemination vital information for a well coordinated event
NATIONAL CCHAMPIONSHIPS GUIDELINES
FOR BATANG PINOY QUALIFIED ATHLETES
◊ The following shall advance to the National Championships and are automatically qualified to claim the PSC allowance:
- First, Second and Third placers of the Individual Events of the Regional Qualifying Legs (Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao)
- First, Second and Third placers in the Doubles Event of the Regional qualifying Legs (Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao)
- First and Second placers in the Team Event with 3 or more members of the Team,
However, the Bronze medalists in the Team events with 3 or more members may join
the National Championships but NO monetary allowance from PSC, however, if
they win any medal (Gold, Silver and Bronze during the National Championships, then they shall receive similar allowance).
◊ PSC shall provide the BP National Championships Qualified athletes (P 1,500.00) for
Meals and a (P1,500.00) travel fare allowance. Only the physically present qualified athletes can claim such allowances as he/she affix his/her signature in the payroll.
◊ PSC shall provide similar allowances to (1) Coach per sport per LGU of the qualified athlete/s. The name of the coach must be declared/indicated in the Athletes’ Entry Form during the Qualifying Leg. In case, of any substitution, the substitute coach must secure authorization from the original coach with the attachment of Batang Pinoy 2014 Identification Card ( zerox copy).
◊ The Host LGU shall provide billeting schools/centers for all the participants inclusive of athletes, coaches, trainers, delegation officials and affiliated/local technical officials
◊ National Championships Qualified athletes in Athletics and Swimming events may still compete in other events ( maximum additional events shall be decided by the NSA) in addition to the events they earned as medalists during the Qualifying leg.
◊ As HOST of the National Championships, the concerned LGU need not compete in the Elimination Leg BUT may endorse only One (1) team per sport. ( Internal elimination is recommended to come up with one delegation for all the sports in the National Championships).
In addition, the HOST LGU of the National Championships may opt to send their athletes to compete in the NATIONAL FINALS sports included during the Elimination Leg.
◊ Participation expenses by LGUs shall be on their account
◊ Administrative and Technical management shall be handled by PSC, POC and NSAs
◊ Playing venues and billeting schools/facilities shall be the responsibility of the Host
◊ The DILG and DepEd shall assist the PSC and POC in running the Games. Hence, both agencies will be part of the working committee spearheaded by PSC.
◊ Medal count shall be credited to respective LGUs
MANDATORY DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED BY THE
BATANG PINOY PARTICIPANTS
THE FOLLOWING ARE PROOF OF ELIGIBILITY OF ATHLETES
- Birth Certificate (Certified True Copy) from NSO or the from the Office of the Local Civil Registrar
- LGU Endorsement from any of the following officials (Governor, Mayor or their duly appointed Sports Coordinator or Barangay Chairman
- LGU ENTRY FORM – It is a Delegation Master List indicating the names, sports and ages of the participating athletes to be certified by the above officials (see B).
- Waiver of Medical Liability to be signed by the LGU representative or Coach