Batang Pinoy 2013 Finals Boxing Bouts
Jan-Feb 2014, Bacolod
BP 2013 Schedule of Boxing Bouts
Article by PSC Commissioner Atty. Jose Luis ‘Jolly’ Gomez,
some excellent writing skills from the boss.
A stolen victory from our Filipino boxers. Heading into the final day, the Philippines had 7 gold medal matches, 2 against Indonesia, 3 against Thailand, and 2 against host Myanmar. The two matches were the ones we were worried about because of the undue advantage that the Myanmar team has been given in this boxing tournament.
After a gold medal win from Josie Gabuco, the match of Nesthey Pretecio vs a Myanmar boxer was so one-sided that we were all confident of a win. Knockout No. 1 – the Myanmar boxer won 2-0! The Uzbekistan and Syrian judges marked it 39-37, the Tajikistan judge couldn’t help it and had to give a 38-38 tie. All of the judges voted for the Myanmar boxer in the 4th and last round which was overwhelmingly ours.The other bouts for the day were well fought by our boys, with Mark Barriga and Mario Fernandez winning over an Indonesian and Thai boxer. Junel Cantancio and Dennis Galvan were up against taller and more experienced boxer and lost their matches which were well OK although Junel’s match was close with Tajikistan and Sri Lanka voting for the Thai and Indonesia voting for PH.The last bout had WIlly Lopez vs Wailin Aung of Myanmar. The PH coaches knew that he had only one punch, a wild knockout hook. The strategy was for Willy to keep a distance, keep his arms down, and tire the boxer out. It was working with Willy scoring points with quick punches while evading all the haymaker punches. The wild partisan Myanmar crowd was subdued.By the second round, Willy starting attacking causing the Myanmar boxer to clinch more. Close to the end of the round, the Myanmar boxer went in for a clinch and head butt Willy causing his right eye to get cut. The referee stopped the fight and called the doctor for an assessment, the doctor said he was unfit to fight with a small cut! Here’s where it gets worse, the referee then proceeds to award the victory to Myanmar and the crowd goes wild! Including all the government officials who came to watch the match.
Ed Picson of ABAP says that the rule should be that in the event of a stopped fight, the judges scorecard should be consulted and whoever is leading will be awarded the fight. Clearly Willy Lopez was ahead but the scorecards were never shown on screen and the match was over. He will file a protest but in his mind this will be difficult to overturn because of existing AIBA rules.
We are proud of our boxers. A delegation of 10 boxers ending up with 3 Golds, 4 Silvers and 3 Bronzes. 4 of them are rookies and 5 of them are under 22 years old. This is the future of Filipino boxing. Laban Pilipinas!
Muhammad Ali Quotes
“IM THE GREATEST!”
- Boxing is a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up.
- Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
- I am the onliest of boxing’s poet laureates.
- I run on the road, long before I dance under the lights.
- I will not risk my life for a country that does not recognize my right to schedule my bouts where and when I want. (Asking for the Vietnam War to be relocated to Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas)
- I would rather get spanked by my poor old daddy
- than kill some dude in a damn rice paddy.
- I ain’t got no quarrel with them Viet Cong. (On why he refused to join the US Army during the Vietnam War)
- I’ll beat him so bad he’ll need a shoehorn to put his hat on.
- If Ali says a mosquito can pull a plow, don’t ask how. Hitch him up!
- If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
- It’s just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
- My toughest fight was with my first wife.
- No one knows what to say in the loser’s locker room.
- Superman don’t need no seat belt.
- The man who views the world at fifty the same as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.
- War on nations change maps. War on poverty maps change.
- When you’re as great as I am, it’s hard to be humble.
Boxing Articles ( Ali Quotes, Don King wants Tua, End of the road for Mike Tyson)